Pregnancy can be a beautiful journey filled with excitement, but it can also come with its fair share of challenges, especially when managing gestational diabetes. As an intuitive eating and gestational diabetes dietitian, I believe that food should be nourishing, enjoyable, and help us feel our best- all without restriction or missing out on life, which is why today I’m giving you three Trader Joe’s Meal Ideas For Gestational Diabetes.
I love to provide clients with fun recommendations- and Trader Joe’s is one of my go-tos! Trader Joe’s is constantly bringing in new, unique items that you can’t find anywhere else! Although they carry what may be considered “specialty” or unique items, it’s also generally affordable, making it a great place to add to the grocery rotation.
Even if you don’t shop here weekly, stopping in every now and then can give you some fun meal ideas to switch things up!
Be sure to comment down below your favorite Trader Joe’s find so I can try it out and read on for some Trader Joe’s Meal ideas for gestational diabetes!
Table of Contents
Managing Blood Sugars With Gestational Diabetes
You do NOT have to put your life on pause just because you have gestational diabetes. Learning to work WITH your body and blood sugars can help this time in your life feel more empowering than it is frustrating. It’s all about putting in a little extra time and effort to set yourself up for success, inside AND outside of the kitchen (more on how other lifestyle factors can influence your blood sugars here).
I want you to have the best pregnancy experience possible, while also ensuring you feel cared for and are able to be present in life, which is why I’m here to share some easy recipes to keep in your back pocket for pregnancy and beyond. These recipes are not only delicious but also designed to keep your blood sugars stable and provide necessary nutrients for you and your baby. And the best part of all? You can find ALL of these items at Trader Joe’s!
Be sure to SAVE this blog post to refer back to later and download my FREE Trader Joe’s Gestational Diabetes eBook for even more Trader Joe’s Meal Ideas For Gestational Diabetes! Get your copy here. Okay, without further ado, let’s get into it!
Gestational Diabetes Friendly Roasted Berry & Spinach Salad with Chicken
- Baby spinach
- Strawberries (or any other berry of choice- peaches would also be delicious)
- Goat cheese (plain or you can get the honey one- a favorite of mine!)
- Chicken breast (you can buy this precooked to make the meal super simple!)
- Optional: walnuts or pecans
How to make:
- Slice strawberries in half. Toss with olive oil and place on a foil lined baking sheet. Cook for 15 minutes at 400°F.
- Toss cooked berries with balsamic glaze and then set aside to cool.
- Once the strawberries have cooled, combine with spinach, chicken and cheese.
- Enjoy (:
Gestational Diabetes Friendly Beef Shawarma Salad
- 1 package TJ’s Shawarma Beef Sirloin
- Lettuce or spring mix
- 1 cup quinoa, prepared according to package directions (can also sub for rice or whole wheat couscous)
- Red onion
- Baby tomatoes
- TJ’s Tzatziki Creamy Garlic Cucumber Dip (or you can make your own with greek yogurt, dill, cucumber, garlic and lemon!)
How to Make:
- Cook beef for 3-4 minutes on each side or until internal temperature reaches at least 145°F. Remove from the grill and let it sit while you prepare the salad.
- Add lettuce to the bowl with couscous, cucumbers, red onion, and tomatoes.
- Slice beef, add to bowls, top with tzatziki.
- Enjoy! (:
Gestational Diabetes Friendly Vegan Caesar Salad
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon TJ’s Vegan Chicken-less Seasoning Salt
- TJ’s vegan parmesan cheese (“shredded cheese alternative”)
- Romaine or spring mix
- TJ’s Vegan Caesar Dressing
- 1 Lemon
How to Make:
- Rinse chickpeas. Add them to a baking sheet and pat fry. Drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 20-30 mins at 425°F (or until they look crispy).
- Remove from oven and toss beans with vegan chicken-less seasoning salt, set aside.
- Add salad to a bowl and top with chickpeas, vegan parmesan, dressing, and lemon wedges!
- Enjoy (:
**all recipes have been adapted from Trader Joe’s online recipe book to be “GD friendly”
There you have it! Three Trader Joe’s meal ideas for gestational diabetes. Don’t forget to find even more recipes here: Trader Joe’s Gestational Diabetes Cookbook and be sure to follow me on Instagram for more gestational diabetes friendly tips and tricks.
Remember that as much as your blood sugar matters, your relationship with food also matters. Gestational diabetes can be difficult on your mental and emotional well-being, so ask for help when you need it and frequently assess where you are at in your relationship with food. If you need some help, my intuitive eating with gestational diabetes series is a great place to start. Learn about principle #1 here.
If you’re ready to take a step towards food freedom and navigate pregnancy nutrition with ease, I’m here to help. Click here to book a free discovery call where we will chat more about you, your journey, and how I can guide you through the challenges of gestational diabetes.